Dear God

Dear God,

Give me confidence and courage

Give me harmony and hope

Give me the strength to hold onto

The knot I tied at the end of this rope

That I made sure to secure tightly to whatever love I found

And was sure came from You

Not the temple’s written pedigree

Before climbing through a stained glass pane

And scaling the church walls

I donโ€™t know if You are really there

Or listening,

But please

I have been dangling

Though I havenโ€™t looked down to see

How far the fall may be

Letting go may or may not land me on my feet

And I fear the latter

So here I will hang below Your throne

Contemplating all that is unknown

Until I feel You move my bones

SWD 05/2018

Advertisements

22 Comments Add yours

1. Matt says:

I can’t work out if I see this as a prayer or a suicide note :/
    How can it be so perfectly poised between the two?!
    A truly exceptional piece of writing.

Liked by 2 people

2. shllyn says:

I definitely feel like it is both as well. Not so much a life ending suicide note but a religious suicide. I feel as if I am praying and threatening to leave God and all that seems meaningful unless shown some kind of hope.

Liked by 2 people

3. shllyn says:

And thank you so much, Matt! You always have such insightful perspectives.

4. Matt says:

I do? ๐Ÿ˜€

5. shllyn says:

Absolutely. I had a vague idea of what I felt but you read it and put it into words that helped me discover another meaning behind my own writing. Your writing is also so inspiring. I am amazed at how much you have in that head and how much you have allowed the world to see what’s inside. It is no small feat to open up and shout what you think into what seems like a void.

6. Matt says:

Well, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚
    I found that shouting into the void is so much better than shouting within my own head. Mainly because it means I no longer need to listen…

Liked by 1 person

7. This is truly beautiful.

8. shllyn says:

Liked by 1 person

9. Thanks for the poem and the conversation with those who comment. I love your words to Matt. I find that refined. Bravo!

Liked by 1 person

10. Thanks for the poem and the conversation with Matt. Beautiful way of expressing your thoughts. Bravo!

11. A celestial petition
    worthy in the asking.
    The King of everything
    is always listening.

Liked by 1 person

12. I like this very much. I love that last line.

13. shllyn says:

Thank you!

14. Tiffany M says:

@shllyn, God is real and alive. He is there and He will never leave you. If He โ€˜leftโ€™ you then He would be going against His very nature.

15. Thats a beautiful poem my friend ^~^
    We need more awesome Christian themed poems such as yours, perhaps this is your destiny.

Also thank you very much for liking my poem over at Cascadialegends.wordpress.com

16. shllyn says:

I have had a lot of doubt this week about writing on the topic of my faith. Thank you so much for saying that.

Liked by 1 person

17. Oh yes! In this day and age, you must be one to right about God’s word, poems about God is very plifting, what with the many ill things people online engage in—ranging from witchcraft, bullying, hate speech, or even the bitter rejection online.

Simply you writing of peaceful things, many will flock to you for that peace they yearn for. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like to think of it as just like God hears every voice that says His name, He even hear’s the “digital coding” that types in His son’s name, Jesus. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    That’s how powerful His name is. Anyway, let’s keep in touch, eh?

18. shllyn says:

Absolutely! Again thank you so much for your kind and inspiring words. He has been telling me in many ways to write about Him and I am very grateful for your nudge today. My email is on my contact page if you ever want to talk personally.

19. okay! I will definately do this ๐Ÿ™‚

20. mhizjace says:

I love this poem!

Hold on tight to God or better just let him hold you.
    He won’t let you down!
    He’s right there with you…
    He will be your strength!

21. NSTW says: